Black Pug is the online event & camp registration system Blue Ridge Mountains Council now uses for managing Council and District events. It offers 24x7 event registration and payment availability to all unit leaders. Here are some tips for making better use of Black Pug.
First Things First - create a user account
Create your Black Pub account by opening their event website in you favorite browser to https://scoutingevent.com/?OrgKey=BSA599&reservationFromEmail=true&myRoster and click on Register to create a new account. You can also create a user account the first time you register for an event. Anytime you register as a Guest, Black Pug will offer the choice of logging in with your existing account or creating a new account.
Why create a Black Pug account?
- If your Council uses Black Pug, your account will be tied to your unit's roster in Black Pug. Be sure to use the name and adresses you put on your charter.
- If your Council doesn't use Black Pug, you can upload your unit roster into your account.
- Having acces to a unit roster allows you to register unit members simply by picking them from the roster and Black Pug will automatically fill in the realated member information like name. Black Pug will then be able to verify Scout ranks and ages of youth members attending the event.
- Your account can be used to register at any event of any Council that uses Black Pug. And your unit roster follows you. Note: Council staff do not have any access to your Black Pug account, only information pertaining to the event in which you've registered your unit.
- When registering for multiple summer camps or weeks at same summer camp, all registraions will accessible from you Black Pug login. This makes moving people between registrations pretty simple.
- From your account, you can list and access all your current and past registrations without having to know the registration number.
- You can access the Black Pug Forum to learn more about using the system.
Using your Black Pug Account
You can use your account to easily find events you've signed up for, creating and maintaining your personal roster, making changes to your registration, and making payments on balances due. You can also see details of events you've registered for and accessing the BRMC calendar of events.
Be sure to keep your account profile up to date which includes your address, phone number, unit type, and unit number.
Here is a YouTube video on My Account Basics.
Click here to access the My Account Login.
Unit Rosters - Council on Black Pug
If you Council is on Black Pug, you can access you unit's roster when registering members of you unit. This allows you to select the desired member to register instead of entering their information manually. This allows Black Pug to verify a Scout's age or rank when registering for age/rank restricted activities. You will have access only if Black Pug can match your information in Black Pug to your information on the charter.
Unit Rosters - Council not on Black Pug
If your unit is NOT on Black Pug, you can upload your own roster. If your unit is small, you can manually add each member to your personal roster. If your unit uses Scoutbook or Troopmaster, you can download your roster from them and upload them as your personal roster. Once created, your personal roster will be available anytime you register for an event in Black Pug, regardless of the Council sponsoring the event.
After downloading your roster from Scoutbook or Troopmaster, open the csv file in Excel or other spreadsheet program. Add a column named "Person Type". For youth enter "Youth" and adults "Adult". Be sure to save the changed file as a csv file. Upload the updated file to Black Pug. Note, Scoutbook provides two roster download files - one for Scouts and one for Adults.
Click here for a Personal Roster tutorial.
Registering for Events
Events can be found several ways. From the BRMC website https://www.bsa-brmc.org homepage, navigate to Activities and Training, then Events on the menu. Select the event category you are interested in to see a list of events matching the selected category, or select Event Calendar to all events available at BRMC. You can also go to https://scoutingevent.com/?OrgKey=BSA599&reservationFromEmail=true&myRoster to see all events available.
Training activities an be found at the BRMC website https://www.bsa-brmc.org homepage, navigate to Activities and Training, then Training, then Council Training on the menu.
No matter which method you use to find events or training, the registration process is is common for all events. Click on the desired event to access the event's full description, find contacts, and list of sessions available. Click on the desired session to register for. If not already logged in, Black Pug will offer the choice to register as Guest or to log into your account.
The first step is to enter the information for the person making the reservation. Guests will have to enter all information, logged in users will have some information pre-filled in.
Here are YouTube videos on starting a registration and completing a registration. Some events will include classes to be enrolled in, such as Merit Badge classes at summer camp. Here is tutorial on selecting classes.
You can reopen your registration to add or change people and check your account balance. If you have a Black Pug account, just login to access it under Activities. If you've chosen to register as a Guest, go here to Lookup Registration.
Each registration has its own list of availalbe reports. View your registration and click on the Reports tab to see and run the reports available for that event. Most events will include roster of participants, account summary, and payment details.
Summer camp reports include Troop Roster of people attending camp, blue cards - multiple formats, class schedules, payment allocations, incomplete merit badges, and more.