About Required Training for Leaders
Important Notice Concerning Untrained Direct Contact Leaders
To view a list of all TROOP Direct Contact Leaders (as of Dec. 7, 2011)- click HERE
To view a list of all CUB SCOUT Direct Contact Leaders (as of Dec. 7, 2011)- click HERE
To view a list of all VENTURER Direct Contact Leaders (as of Dec. 7, 2011)- click HERE
Attention Scout Leaders:
Click the link above to see the list of direct contact leaders who are not trained. If you see your name on the list, then you must complete the necessary training for your Scouting position or you will drop when your unit recharters. There are four untrained leader lists (in pdf format) and each is sorted by district, then by unit (pack, troop, or crew), and then by last name.
Every Scout Deserves a Trained leader to help assure safe and fun Scouting on a year round basis.
Direct Contact Leaders who are not trained will be dropped when their unit re-charters. Direct contact leaders are Cubmasters, Assistant Cubmasters, Den Leaders, Assistant Den Leaders, Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, Venturing Advisors, and Assistant Venturing Advisors. This is a continuation of our 2011 initiative where we successfully trained 100% of Cub Masters and Scout Masters.
If you are not currently trained and wish to continue in your position as a direct contact leader, then you need to attend the necessary training. Cub Scout Leaders can take all of their training on-line! Cub Scout training can be taken using your myscouting account on myscouting.org. Anyone having problems with the site may contact the BRMC Service Center and for special needs you may contact Judie Snipes, our council training chair, directly at [email protected] or [email protected]. Please note in the msn address that the underscore is required (judie_snipes).
For other leaders, some of the training must be taken in class and led by a trained instructor. Go on-line to www.bsa-brmc.org. Then click on Training Opportunities which is located in the right-hand column.
What is required to be considered trained?
- Youth Protection Training
- Leader Specific Training for your position
- Outdoor Leader Training (for Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters) (Instructor Led)
- Venturing Leader Training (for Venturing Advisors and Assistant Venturing Advisors)
Note: If you have only taken part of the trainings required, then you are not trained. The order in which you take the training does not matter but the full course is required unless your competency and qualifications can be validated by a member of the Council’s Training Committees or a designated substitute.
To verify what you have taken, you may use the training validation tool located in myscouting.org.
- If you have not created a myscouting account, you need to do so. To do this, you should go to the following website: www.myscouting.org .
- Once you are there, click on create account and follow the instructions.
- Be sure to use Blue Ridge Mountains Council which is number 599.
- Once your account has been created and you have logged in, click on the “training validation” link which is located on the left column of the screen.
- This will list the trainings that the Boy Scouts of America has recorded for you.
If you have taken a required training that is not listed in the training validation link, you need to contact Susan McKimmy at the Scout Office at 540-265-0656 and let her know when and where you took the training.
The Blue Ridge Mountains Council is committed to providing our youth with trained leaders, and with your commitment we can do it! Please join us as we start yet another GREAT YEAR OF SCOUTING!