The Blue Ridge Mountains Council (BRMC) has established a BALOO & IOLS Instructor Corps. The mission of this instructor corps is to provide Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) training for Cub Scout pack adult leaders and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) training for Scouts BSA troop and Venturing crew adult leaders across the council (22 counties and 5 cities) on a regular basis all year round. These courses are NOT available online, and must be attended in person.
The BALOO training (C32) is required for all packs and dens that want to bring their Cub Scouts outdoors. At least one BALOO-trained leader must be present during the entire outing. Hence, to avoid cancellation of events, it is recommended that the pack has at least two BALOO-trained leaders so as to ensure that this minimum is met. This is a one-time training that does not expire.
The IOLS training (S11) is required for all Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters. It is also suitable for other adult leaders in troops and packs that plan to camp with troops or that plan to transfer to a troop.
IMPORTANT: For both BALOO and IOLS training, the participants must be current with Youth Protection Training (YPT) and Hazardous Weather Trainings (HWT) through the end of the calendar year of the training. Both YPT and HWT must be renewed every two years. This is a BSA National policy.
Plan now to attend one of these trainings. Registration will open soon.
Upcoming Training Dates:
- Saturday morning, October 2, 2021 through Sunday morning, October 3, 2021, Henry County - Cancelled
- Friday evening, October 15, 2021 through Saturday evening, October 16, 2021, Blue Ridge Scout Reservation
- Friday evening, October 8, 2021 through Saturday evening, October 9, 2021, Blue Ridge Scout Reservation
- Saturday morning, March 26, 2022 through Sunday morning, March 27, 2022, Franklin County
- Friday evening, April 1, 2022 through Saturday evening, April 2, 2022, Blue Ridge Scout Reservation
- Friday evening, April 15, 2022 through Saturday evening, April 16, 2022, Blue Ridge Scout Reservation
Every Scout deserves a trained leader!
Click here for registration BALOO & IOLS Training