The Blue Ridge Mountains Council, Boy Scouts of America serves 21 Counties and 7 Cities in Southwest, Central, and Southside Virginia. All designs, photographs, text, articles, logos and other media on this website are copyrights or trademarks of Boy Scouts of America and are not to be used, displayed or distributed without express direct consent.
SCOUTS BSA FALL TROUT-O-REE
Scouts BSA Fall Trout-O-Ree A Family Camping Event
October 16-17, 2020 • Camp Powhatan
The Blue Ridge Mountains Council is proud to host the Scouts, BSA Trout-o-ree at Camp Powhatan’s cold spring-fed lake. A ﬁshing tournament and numerous activities will be held throughout the day. A hot dog lunch, a tournament patch and a limit of ﬁve trout are included for each registered participant. Parents may sign up individually or through their scout’s troop. Camping is available on Friday night.
Registration and Details for Trout-o-rees
- Pre-registration by October 9th is required due to space limitations. The cost is $20 per person prior to October 9th and $25 for registration after October 9th.
- Parents are encouraged to attend and participate in this event; however, remember that the scouts come ﬁrst. Adults wishing to ﬁsh must pay the fees listed above. Adults who only wish to have lunch must pre-register for $5.
- Fishing begins at 7:30 a.m. and ends at 3 p.m. on Saturday. Registration is open from 7-9 p.m. on Friday at the shower palace or on Saturday beginning at 7:30 a.m. until 10 a.m. at the boathouse (see camp map).
- With your fishing registration you will receive lunch, a patch and eligibility to compete for prizes (youth only).
- Prizes will be presented at 3:30 p.m. in the amphitheater, unless noted otherwise. You must be present to win.
- Fishing gear and bait are NOT provided.
- Good sportsmanship is a must.
- Fishing begins at 7:30 a.m. and ends at 3 p.m.
- No ﬁshing is allowed before or after the trout-o-ree.
- Fishing must take place between the swinging bridge and the area above the dam.
- Baits such as Berkley Power Bait, salmon eggs, cheese, worms, etc., can only be ﬁshed on a single hook. No double hooks and treble hooks are allowed. No corn can be used as bait.
- Due to the fragile nature of trout, catch and release is not allowed. If you do not wish to keep your ﬁsh, please offer them to someone else.
- Culling of ﬁsh (keeping only the big ones) is against competition rules.
- Please do not attempt to “make a winner” by giving all of your unit’s big ﬁsh to one scout.
- Random stomach content checks could occur at weigh-in, so “rock stufﬁng” is not encouraged. This is both unethical and unfair to the other ﬁshermen.
- Once you catch your ﬁve ﬁsh, you have to stop ﬁshing and take them to be weighed. Remember, fresh ﬁsh weigh more than stale ﬁsh, so weigh as you go.
- All catches must be reported at weigh in station to help maintain proper fishing habitat in the lake
- Fish must be cleaned only in the designated area beside the boating area
- Biggest Trout, 1st, 2nd and 3rd (Scouts only)
- Overall champion (largest catch)
Overnight Camping Information
- Camping is available for Friday night at Camp, you provide your own camping equipment. Please submit a Facility Use form with your registration, click here for Facility Use Form.
- Campmasters (volunteers who help run weekend programs) will be on-site to assist your group in selecting a campsite; however, all sites are ﬁrst come, ﬁrst serve.
- Please encourage your Scouts to use the buddy system at all times.
- No parking in campsites and absolutely no littering is allowed.
- No alcohol or ﬁreworks are permitted.
- Please do not construct new ﬁre rings. Fires must be attended at all times.
Sample Packing List
Running water and toilet facilities will be available
- 3 changes of clothing (Remember camp can be cold at night.)
- Rain gear
- 2 pair of shoes and extra socks
- Tent, sleeping bag and trail pad
- Personal toiletries
- Fishing gear
- Cooking equipment and food (the event only provides lunch on Saturday).
- Consider bringing supplies to fry em up!
COVID-19 Guidelines for the Reservation will be followed and strictly enforced. Masks must be worn when designated. Due to the everchanging situation more details will be sent out as the event date gets closer.
Refund Policy: We prepare for participants to have a high quality experience by ordering supplies based on pre-registration numbers. For refund information please see the Council Refund policy found here:
Note: Credit Card payments will incure a 3% transaction fee added to the total amount due.
|Event Date||10-16-2020 7:00 pm|
|Event End Date||10-17-2020 4:00 pm|
|Cut off date||10-09-2020|
|Late Fee||$5.00 (From 10-09-2020 17:00)|
|Target Audience||All Scouts BSA members and their families|
|Categories||Scouts BSA Events, Council Events|
|Attachment||Trout-o-ree 2020 Scouts BSA Form new.pdf|